Is it really necessary to have a teacher? Can’t I just learn to play the piano online? I have yet to come across anyone who has really started as a beginner and has learned to play using a strictly online course. Here are some of the reasons I think it is important to have a teacher;
1, Learning to play the piano well is difficult. A competent teacher can actually show you how to play with the proper technique.
2. A good teacher can see what you are doing wrong and help you to correct the problem
3. A teacher can tailor the lessons to each student’s individual needs.
4. Becoming an accomplished pianist takes years. A good teacher provides the motivation to keep going even when you really want to quit.
5. Attending lessons weekly gives you the structure you need to make consistent progress.
6. A teacher can provide performance opportunities, and teach you how to get through a performance.
7. Online methods can only take you so far you need a teacher to take you to advanced levels of playing.
8. Piano lessons should be fun, a great teacher can make piano lessons fun. I remember all of my piano teachers. Especially my high school teacher If it were not for her caring and excellent teaching I definitely would have quit. I’ll never forget her, After all, you could say, she’s the reason you are reading this.
I was recently solicited for advertising by a company selling a “Smart Piano”. First of all it wasn’t a piano it was some type of digital keyboard. The idea was that the keys light up and people can learn to play by pressing the keys as they light up. Huh? How does that work? To start with how does the student know which finger to use on a particular key as it lights up. What about, proper technique? musicality? I really don’t think these things work very well if at all. Students need teachers, For a million reasons.
Why do you think students need teachers? Leave a comment below.